Are You A Good Listener?
Allowing someone to speak freely is a sign of respect.
Being silent may be uncomfortable at times, but after you ask a question, allow the other person to answer, giving them time to dig deep into their thoughts and freely express themselves. What they say after a silence is golden! If you stay silent and allow them to think it through and speak freely and fully, they will make the connection clear.
Tips for World-Class Listening:
- Are you open to what they are saying?
- If you are thinking, or holding a grudge, you are not listening!
- Be interested in what they are saying?
- Be aware of your body language!
- Do you understand the emotions that have charged their words?
- Be aware of their body language!
- Would you be able to communicate "accurately" what they just said?
- Listening intently will allow you to duplicate their communication.
- When it is clear they have finished speaking, acknowledge that you understand.
- You can repeat what they said or ask a question to clarify your understanding.
- Be a Better Spouse/Friend
- A Compassionate Parent/Daughter/Sibling
- A Super Salesperson/Manager
- A Successful Counselor
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix
“Never talk when you can nod.” New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer